Grow your career. Be the difference. Leading the commercialization of ground-breaking technology that captures CO₂ directly from air is challenging and exhilarating. As a member of the CE team, you’ll be surrounded by smart, adventurous, curious people committed to progressing our Direct Air Capture (DAC) and AIR TO FUELS TM technologies. We’re a diverse team of innovators hailing from around the world with a shared vision, purpose, and commitment to deliver large scale climate change solutions. Our headquarters is in Squamish, B.C., and our presence is expanding in many other markets around the world as we commercialize our technologies.
Our culture combines our heritage as a small company with our ambitious goals. We have a passion for what we do and believe our work will have a true and lasting impact on the world. Many of our employees are drawn to CE because of the direct connection between the game-changing work we do and their own personal values.
At our core, Carbon Engineering values integrity, growth, excellence in execution, and fun. This is an environment where people matter, and contributions are noticed. Our employees work hard and are given the opportunity to learn and grow from mistakes. Diversity is embraced, and we value an inclusive work environment where every employee has an equal opportunity to be heard. We work in a dynamic environment and thrive on tackling rewarding and complex problems as a team.
As a Project Engineer, you understand industrial processes, engineering, procurement as well as plant construction and commissioning. You are responsible for delivery of project documents and additional objectives as defined by your management chain. You will be required to support the Front-End Engineering work for Capital projects including full engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning cycle for large to small projects at Carbon Engineering’s (CE’s) Innovation Center. You will work with CE’s internal engineering departments, as well as with external engineering consultants. You must be comfortable in an environment where you will be required to work independently or with a team of engineers towards multiple deadlines with minimum supervision.
This position requires flexibility including working from the office, home, and traveling to engage with customers, contractors, partners and oversee or inspect their work. This position is based in Squamish, BC.
- Interact with internal and external engineering teams to develop Feasibility Studies, Conceptual, Preliminary and Detailed Design Packages for Capital Project execution at the CE’s Innovation Center, a 24/7 operating Direct-Air-Capture (DAC) Plant.
- Interact with internal clients (Operations and Technology Development Departments) on technical aspects related to CE’s technologies, such as Capex and Opex data, area requirements, utilities, quantities and specifications, equipment selection criteria, etc.
- Prepare engineering and construction services proposals, including definition of scope, budget, and schedule.
- Communicate with internal and external project stakeholders across all organization levels.
- Balance project deliverables and competing priorities.
- Identify, manage and mitigate project risk.
- Interface with the in-house Operations, Engineering, and Technology Development Department teams, as well as external engineering partners and clients.
- Support projects through Engineering, Procurement and Construction and Pre-Feed completion phases by:
- Completing/reviewing engineering deliverables such as Basis of Design, Technical Specifications, Heat and Material Balances, PFDs, P&IDs, hydraulic sizing calculations, Line lists, Equipment Specs/Datasheets, etc.
- Participating in 3D model reviews, design reviews (internal and external), HAZIDs/HAZOPs, Peer Reviews and weekly/monthly project progress meeting.
- Ability to be detail oriented or high level, depending on what the situation requires.
- Be a point of contact for internal and external engineering teams, with the ability to quickly resolve issues.
- Collaborate with Production Engineers at CE’s Innovation Center (CEIC) to ensure required data is collected to inform commercial plant design.
- Support CEIC Capital Project Execution for other departments:
- Lead Feasibility Studies (pre-FEED) on priority projects identified;
- Develop Scope, Schedule and Cost estimates within budgetary and time constraints.
- Delivery Project Execution Plans including but not limited to: FEED, Detailed Design, Procurement and Commissioning for handover to internal teams.
- Liaise with and report project status: progress, schedule and costs and to Manager, Capital Projects.
- Familiar with brown field plant construction and modification challenges.
- Develop Construction or Fabrication Execution strategy.
- Collaborate with Procurement to develop Construction Scopes of Work and RFP’s. Capable of reviewing bids, evaluating and selecting Contractors’ based on Proposals.
- Support Project Coordination between Contractors and Engineers (internal or external) during Construction phase.
- Competent with Project delivery and turnover of Mechanically Complete assets to end users from Construction, through Commissioning and support Operations during System Start-up.
- Support the commissioning of projects by conducting site reviews and inspections.
- Abide by the standards and policies of Carbon Engineering and the projects you are assigned.
- Foster and maintain a positive culture within the team; a questioning mindset and recognize failure as a learning opportunity.
- Demonstrate a positive safety culture within the Projects & Engineering Teams.
- Identify, report, and resolve unsafe conditions, processes, or actions within the workplace.
- Ensure that all safety related incidents, accidents and near misses are reported and investigated in line with company policy.
- Experience in HAZID, HAZOP and other risk analysis and assessment tools is desired.
Education and Experience
- BSc in Engineering, Chemical, Process or Mechanical discipline.
- P.Eng registered in BC or eligible to register with EGBC. Ability to stamp/authenticate engineering documents is required.
- Project management professional (PMP) certification is considered an asset.
- 4 to 8 years of experience in process engineering, project engineering, chemical plant projects, or chemical plant operation.
- Expertise in preparing cost estimates, planning, scheduling, and construction of industrial plants or unit operations starting from front end engineering design (FEED) and progressing through detailed design, construction, and commissioning.
- Familiarity with the FEP processes and their deliverables, AACE Cost Estimation, CII guidelines and best practices.
- Experience producing, reviewing or contributing to typical process engineering deliverables (Process Models, Heat and Material Balances, PFDs, P&IDs, Process control philosophy, Equipment Datasheets, etc.).
- Experience in preparation and issue of RFIs/RFQs, as well as in reviewing vendor’s documents, drawings, datasheets, specification, and calculations.
- Experience in dealing with chemical processes, understanding of raw material consumption and utility usage, as well as variable, fixed and levelized costs.
- Familiarity with Primavera or MS Projects and Project Controls in general.
- Familiarity with Quality Management Systems.
- Experience with CO2 capture technologies, or inexperience in a start-up environment a plus.
- Understanding of core engineering principles (thermodynamics, heat & mass transfer, fluid dynamics, etc.).
- Ability to distill complex problems into simple solutions.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently towards multiple deadlines with minimum supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Outgoing, personable and proven ability to display emotional intelligence.
- Ability to thrive on doing things that have not been done before (explorer mindset) and tackling challenging problems.
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills with the ability to present technical information, concepts, or study results to project stakeholders.
- Have an interest in development of new technologies and products. Willingness to travel for customer, contractor and partner engagements.