Process Engineer (Operations)
Grow your career. Be the difference. Leading the commercialization of ground-breaking technology that captures CO₂ directly from air is challenging and exhilarating. As a member of the CE team, you’ll be surrounded by smart, adventurous, curious people committed to progressing our Direct Air Capture (DAC) and AIR TO FUELS TM technologies. We’re a diverse team of innovators hailing from around the world with a shared vision, purpose, and commitment to deliver large scale climate change solutions. Our headquarters is in Squamish, B.C., and our presence is expanding in many other markets around the world as we commercialize our technologies.
Our culture combines our heritage as a small company with our ambitious goals. We have a passion for what we do and believe our work will have a true and lasting impact on the world. Many of our employees are drawn to CE because of the direct connection between the game-changing work we do and their own personal values.
At our core, Carbon Engineering values integrity, growth, excellence in execution, and fun. This is an environment where people matter, and contributions are noticed. Our employees work hard and are given the opportunity to learn and grow from mistakes. Diversity is embraced, and we value an inclusive work environment where every employee has an equal opportunity to be heard. We work in a dynamic environment and thrive on tackling rewarding and complex problems as a team.
As a Process Engineer (Operations), you are a key link between the Ops Process Eng and Production Teams. You work hand in hand with Operators to support equipment troubleshooting and ongoing improvements to uptime, operability and availability. You collaborate with Process Engineers to drive improvements to process units and execute test campaigns. You are the lead for assigned process and plant improvement projects; taking ownership for all elements from scope development through to training and commissioning.
You will report to the Manager, Process Engineering (Operations). You must be comfortable in an environment where you work independently or with a team of engineers towards multiple deadlines with minimum supervision.
The successful candidate will be working onsite in Squamish, BC
- Contribute to a positive safety culture
- Collaborate with the Production team to drive continuous improvement of process units and operations:
- Ensure that SOPs are kept up to date in line with operational changes and MoCs.
- Support equipment troubleshooting.
- Drive ongoing improvements to uptime, operability, availability and maintainability.
- Other initiatives focused on continuous improvement of CEIC operations.
- Act as Operations focal point for MoCs within your assigned area.
- Collaborate with Process Engineers to ensure that the MoC program aligns with process development priorities and milestones.
- Develop scope for new MoCs and assign scope to Technical Authorities.
- Maintain oversight and guidance throughout solution development and secondary review.
- Participate in MOC review and approval meetings.
- Verify MOC documents for completion and accuracy.
- Develop commissioning plans, training material and SOP updates.
- Coordinate with Production and Maintenance to ensure timely execution in line with process development priorities.
- Drive commissioning to closure, ensure MoC achieves original scope/intent and address deficiencies.
- Ensure work conforms to all applicable technical regulations and that all technical registrations/approvals are maintained with the appropriate governing body or safety authority.
- Ensure that all work is done in conformance with EGBC and CE policies and procedures including, but not limited to the Professional Practice Management Plan and Management of Change procedures.
- Work with other engineering resources to ensure accuracy in documentation, Including but not limited to: GA, mechanical and electrical drawings, P&IDs, PFDs, control narratives and shutdown keys.
- Identify and exploit opportunities to reduce future plant CAPEX/OPEX and improve process efficiency through CEIC test campaigns.
Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc Chemical / or Process / or Mechanical Engineering
- 3+ years of experience as an engineer in a process or production plant
- Experience with development and maintenance of SOPs, MoC’s, and PHAs.
- Previous experience in a research and development environment is desirable
- Registered as an EIT or PEng with EGBC
- Be safety conscious, proactively identify risks, participate in safety audits and inspections, observe and execute safety practices and rules in the workplace.
- Be a self-starter with the ability to work independently towards multiple deadlines with minimum supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Have a collaborative working style and value team performance above individual recognition.
- Thrive on doing things that have not been done before (explorer mindset).
- Have strong analytical, technical writing and problem-solving skills, as well as strong verbal communication skills.
Joining Carbon Engineering provides you more than a career – it’s a calling for those who are ready to make a difference in climate action. We provide hope.
Carbon Engineering is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.