Grow your career. Be the difference. Leading the commercialization of ground-breaking technology that captures CO₂ directly from air is challenging and exhilarating. As a member of the CE team, you’ll be surrounded by smart, adventurous, curious people committed to progressing our Direct Air Capture (DAC) and AIR TO FUELS TM technologies. We’re a diverse team of innovators hailing from around the world with a shared vision, purpose, and commitment to deliver large scale climate change solutions. Our headquarters is in Squamish, B.C., and our presence is expanding in many other markets around the world as we commercialize our technologies
Our culture combines our heritage as a small company with our ambitious goals. We have a passion for what we do and believe our work will have a true and lasting impact on the world. Many of our employees are drawn to CE because of the direct connection between the game-changing work we do and their own personal values.
At our core, Carbon Engineering values integrity, growth, excellence in execution, and fun. This is an environment where people matter, and contributions are noticed. Our employees work hard and are given the opportunity to learn and grow from mistakes. Diversity is embraced, and we value an inclusive work environment where every employee has an equal opportunity to be heard. We work in a dynamic environment and thrive on tackling rewarding and complex problems as a team.
The Technology Development Group
The Technology Development Group is Carbon Engineering’s core research and development team. We are a multidisciplinary team of research scientists and engineers responsible for driving next-generation DAC technology improvements through evolutionary and revolutionary innovation. We value a collaborative and inclusive research environment which fosters curious and explorer-driven mindsets.
As a Research Engineer in the Technology Development group, you will join an elite, multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers who are responsible for the development of Carbon Engineering’s next-generation technologies. You will work within collaborative research teams on projects spanning fundamental laboratory studies to process validation at pilot scale. Your objective will be to conceptualize, develop, and demonstrate technology solutions that drive cost reductions, enabling new market opportunities and accelerating widespread adoption of DAC technology.
We would love to hear from you if:
- You thrive in a collaborative, team-centric work environment
- You are excited by the prospect of advancing a technology from the conceptualization stage through to demonstration
- You are a self-motivated, curious, and creative problem solver
- You value a rigorous, data-driven approach to decision-making
- You are passionate about leading the future of clean technologies for carbon-circular economies to address the social and environmental impacts of climate change
- Stay up-to-date on emerging research and new technology development
- Connect existing knowledge, new learnings, and original ideas to create new concepts
- Continuously contribute to the company’s intellectual property portfolio
- Rapidly assess the high-level technical and economic feasibility of new concepts to understand opportunities and roadblocks
- Define the key questions that need to be answered to gain a strong fundamental understanding of new concepts, and plan, design, and execute the experiments required to answer them
- Process and analyze experimental data using appropriate statistical methods
- Interpret the results and communicate the learnings in both written and verbal formats to a diverse audience to support rigorous, data-driven decision making
- Use the learnings to define the logical next steps for the project
- Perform necessary design calculations when selecting new equipment or instrumentation, and if applicable, identify third party consultants for technical review or independent design consultation
- Design, build, and operate experimental test equipment at lab, bench, and pilot scales
- Demonstrate and champion a positive culture of environmental and personal health and safety
- Follow all company safety requirements and procedures
- Implement and maintain safe work procedures for unique Technology Development equipment and experiments
- Identify, report, and resolve unsafe conditions, processes, or actions within the workplace
- Ensure that all safety related incidents, accidents and near misses are reported and investigated in line with company policy
- Complete training curriculum and maintain required certifications
Qualifications & Experience
- B.Sc. (minimum) or M.Sc./PhD (preferred) in Chemical, Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering or related disciplines
- P. Eng. / EIT or eligible to register with EGBC
- Minimum of 2+ years research experience in academic or industrial laboratory environments
- Experience with general process design and engineering deliverables for novel applications (process modelling and simulation techniques, reactor design, H&MBs, PFDs, P&IDs, control philosophies, datasheets, etc.) Experience designing and constructing test equipment at the laboratory, bench, or pilot scales is an asset
- Experience with mechanical product and system design (Instrumentation selection, rotating equipment selection, skid frame design, pipe and tube routing, 3D CAD in AutoDesk ecosystem)
- Experience with Mechatronic System Design is an asset (including integration of DAQ systems, control system programming using AB products, HMI design)
- Experience with planning and execution of commissioning both in-house and vendor supplied systems
Key competencies of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Understanding of core process engineering principles including process modeling and simulation techniques, and reactor design
- Understanding of core scientific principles including general process chemistry fundamentals, mass transfer, thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics
- 3D modeling and mechanical design
- Mechatronic system design, including but not limited to programming experiment controls, DAQ systems, HMIs, and data analysis scripting.
Offers and Benefits
Carbon Engineering offers a competitive compensation package including extended health benefits. Our location in the outdoor recreation hub of Squamish gives you access to world class skiing, mountain biking, climbing, hiking, and other outdoor activities within minutes of the office, while in close proximity to Vancouver, one of the most beautiful and culturally diverse cities in Canada.
Joining Carbon Engineering provides you more than a career – it’s a calling for those who are ready to make a difference in climate action. We provide hope.
Carbon Engineering is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.