Supervisor, Instrumentation and Electrical
Grow your career. Be the difference. Leading the commercialization of ground-breaking technology that captures CO₂ directly from air is challenging and exhilarating. As a member of the CE team, you’ll be surrounded by smart, adventurous, curious people committed to progressing our Direct Air Capture (DAC) and AIR TO FUELS™ technologies. We’re a diverse team of innovators hailing from around the world with a shared vision, purpose, and commitment to deliver large scale climate change solutions. Our headquarters is in Squamish, B.C., and our presence is expanding in many other markets around the world as we commercialize our technologies
Our culture combines our heritage as a small company with our ambitious goals. We have a passion for what we do and believe our work will have a true and lasting impact on the world. Many of our employees are drawn to CE because of the direct connection between the game-changing work we do and their own personal values.
At our core, Carbon Engineering values integrity, growth, excellence in execution, and fun. This is an environment where people matter, and contributions are noticed. Our employees work hard and are given the opportunity to learn and grow from mistakes. Diversity is embraced, and we value an inclusive work environment where every employee has an equal opportunity to be heard. We work in a dynamic environment and thrive on tackling rewarding and complex problems as a team.
As Supervisor, Instrumentation & Electrical you’ll lead a team of Industrial Electricians, Instrumentation Technicians, and Control Systems Engineers at the Innovation Centre located in Squamish, BC. You’ll be responsible for leading I&E maintenance activity, Control Systems integrity/development and plant modifications/upgrades. You report to the Manager, Maintenance and support them with the timely deliveries and reactive maintenance activity to achieve plant uptime targets.
You'll collaborate and lead your team to develop procedures and solutions that achieve operational milestones without compromising on safety and environment.
Leveraging your instrumentation, industrial electrician or automation and controls experience, you’ll be a significant contributor in helping CE achieve their objectives in climate change action.
This position is a standard M-F schedule with 8 hour shifts, with ability to flex as necessary to support key operational activities.
- Champion a positive safety culture within the maintenance department
- Maintain the Plant in a safe condition in line with all applicable regulations.
- Identify, report and resolve unsafe conditions, processes or actions within the workplace.
- Ensure that all safety related incidents, accidents and near misses are reported and investigated in line with company policy.
- Be familiar with the Emergency Response Plan (ERP) and associated responsibilities within the plan.
Leadership and Management
- Oversee the daily instrumentation, electrical, and control systems activities on site.
- Work with the Maintenance Planner to schedule preventive and reactive I&E and Control Systems maintenance activities.
- Foster and maintain a positive culture within the Instrumentation, Electrical, and Control Systems Engineering team; promote effective delegation, a questioning mindset and recognize failure as a learning opportunity.
- Maintain the Instrumentation, Electrical and Control Systems team shift pattern, vacation scheduling, and minimum staffing levels.
- Ensure all I&E and Control Systems documentation and records are accurate and regularly updated (e.g. Single Line Diagram, Instrument List, Control Narrative, Cause and Effect Matrix).
- Conduct daily toolbox meetings to ensure good communication within the team.
- Train, supervise and mentor I&E Technicians and Control Systems Engineers with all maintenance activities.
- Identify and support training opportunities for direct reports.
- Communicate management objectives to direct reports.
- Provide input to prioritization and scheduling of maintenance activity to achieve team objectives.
- Delegate projects to direct reports, monitor progress against milestones and provide progress reports to management.
- Identify constraints to achieving plant objectives and define the resources required to overcome these (e.g. new hires, software, equipment).
- Set objectives and conduct performance reviews for direct reports.
- Identify and apply appropriate quality management tools and techniques to plant operations.
- Conduct or delegate daily workplace inspection and daily IC&E rounds of the Plant
- Provide technical guidance on all instrumentation, electrical and control systems maintenance tasks.
- Provide support completing instrumentation, electrical and control systems tasks when needed.
- Provide support to the Operations Team for tasks such as:
- Investigate underperforming or problematic controls.
- Update control system instrumentation and programming for equipment & process modifications.
- Update as-built controls engineering documentation during modifications.
- Develop and maintain company standardization documents and libraries for PLC/DCS programming, HMI design and interface standards.
- Provide technical expertise, attention to detail, and oversight in job planning
- Be aware of Hazardous area classification, PTW, LOTO, Management of Change and other key HSE/technical policies and procedures.
- Assure proper prioritization and execution of field related routine maintenance activities
- Complete and authorize daily work permits as required.
- Identify, capture and communicate lessons learned and implement solutions where appropriate.
- Develop, implement and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for IC&E maintenance tasks.
- Complete training requirements to learn about CE processes/expectations, and gain a critical understanding of Plant systems, Control systems, process fundamentals, and Plant operations.
Education, Experience and Key Competencies
Education and Experience
- Red Seal Instrumentation and Control Technician and/or Red Seal Industrial Electrician certification
- Instrumentation Engineering Technologist Diploma would be an asset10+ years experience in Oil and Gas,
- Pulp and Paper or other chemical production industry.
- Good understanding of PID, FF and Cascade Loops.
- Good understanding of electrical systems, control enclosures, 3-phase systems.
- Good understanding of multiple PLC/DCS systems (Allen Bradley, Siemens).
- Knowledge of multiple HMI/SCADA systems (FactoryTalk, Ignition, Experion, Wonderware).
- Collaborate well in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Practical mindset and willing to get hands dirty.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently towards multiple deadlines with minimum supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively motivate and supervise a team
Joining Carbon Engineering provides you more than a career – it’s a calling for those who are ready to make a difference in climate action. We provide hope.
Carbon Engineering is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.